12/02/2008

Lakes in New Zealand

What are the interesting things about geography in New Zealand? Are there differences or common things between New Zealand and Japan? I heard that in New Zealand, there are many interesting things about geography like volcano, hot springs, falls and dams. When I tried to search, I found information about lakes in New Zealand. I was really interested in it because the pictures of lakes that I saw were really beautiful. So today, I am going to talk about lakes in New Zealand.

Do you know how many lakes are there in New Zealand? New Zealand has 775 lakes that are at least 0.5 kilometers long. The largest lake in New Zealand is Lake Taupo. It is located in the central North Island. The area of this lake is about 616 square kilometers, so this lake is as large as Lake Biwa that is largest lake in Japan. Lake Taupo was created by the eruption in 181. This eruption was the largest eruption during the last 20,000 years. The ash turned the sky red over Rome and China. Now, there are a lot of hot springs and power plants near this lake. As you can see from the picture, this lake is really beautiful. A lot of people visit this lake every year. There is another reason why people visit there. City Taupo in which Lake Taupo is located is a really good place for sightseeing and activities. Many visitors enjoy not only seeing this beautiful lake but also doing exciting activities. You can enjoy fishing, flying, water-skiing, and canoeing. However, the most famous activity is bungee jumping. When you jump from the stool which projects 20 meters from the cliff, you can see beautiful Waikato River and magnificent scenery. You will be moved to see them. I also would like to introduce about the deepest lake. The deepest lake in New Zealand is Lake Hauroko. It is lacated in the south Island of New Zealand.The depth of this lake is 462 meters and it is the 16th deepest lake in the world.

The Maori word for lake is ‘roto’. The names of many lakes start with this like Rotoiti, Rotoroa, Rotomanu and Rotomahana. It is really interesting, isn't it? I have never been to New Zealand. However, if I go there, I really want to go to the largest lake; Lake Taupo and the deepest lake; Lake Hauruko. I also want to try bungee jumping! I think that you will be able to feel refreshed by visiting these lakes! Why don't you go there?



3 件のコメント:

★tommy さんのコメント...

How beautiful picture it is! I want to go there and see the scene directly! But I don't want to try bungee jump...(´`;)

aya-pan★ さんのコメント...

This picture is very nice!
I want to go and sea some of lakes in NZ.
I didn't there are many lakes in NZ.

apple さんのコメント...

At first sight, this picture's lake seems like the ocean. How big and beautiful lake. I want to see it, and I want to try bungee jump,too!