10/17/2008

Halloween

When autumn comes, I often see the Halloween goods or snacks sold at the shop or the department store. When I see them, I remember my memory of the Halloween day. When I was a high school student, My English teacher from America made Jack O’ Lantern that is a ghost of pumpkin, put a candle in it and lighted it. She surprised us! My friends and I were very happy. After that, I ate snacks with my friends and had a really good time. Therefore, when I hear the word “Halloween”, I feel exciting! However, what is the origin of Halloween? How people celebrate the day? Today, I would like to tell you about “Halloween”.

You know that Halloween is October 31st. Halloween was originally All Saints’ Eve. All Saints’ Day is the Catholic event that people enshrine saints who have been dead. Also, October 31st was the New Year’s Eve for Celtic in the 5th century. In those days, November 1st was the New Year’s Day for them. These two things fall on the same day. Therefore, they started to celebrate the day, October 1st as Halloween festival. It is said that the souls of the dead return to the earth on Halloween. I think that Halloween is like the Bon Festival in Japan though the ways in which people spend are different.

Now, what do people do on Halloween? Children in America make the rounds of their neighborhoods in Halloween costume and say “Trick or treat!!” on October 31st. This word means that if you do not give snacks or candies, we will trick you! The neighbors prepare snacks or candies in advance not to be tricked and when children came to their house, they give these confectioneries to children. The neighbors will be happy when they see children smile. Do you know “Candy corn”? It is a candy that is famous and standard goods of Halloween in America. Also, it is in the shape of corn. I have never tasted this candy. I want to try to taste it someday wearing Halloween costume!

I think that Halloween has a long history and it is celebrated by many people in various ways. The ways in which people celebrate are different from country to country or people to people. However, I think that it is good to keep a traditional festival and have a good time with their family or friends. What are you going to do on Halloween day? I wish you could have a good time!!

0 件のコメント: